Intern Industrial Policy & Competitiveness
Ecorys is one of the largest and leading European research and consultancy companies, specializing in economic, social and spatial development. We have been bridging science and practice for more than 85 years. Focusing on complex market, policy and management issues, we provide our public, private and not-for-profit clients worldwide with a unique perspective and high-value solutions. Ecorys employs approx.. 475 in-house professionals. In the Netherlands we employ some 150 highly qualified consultants..
For the sector Industry & Competition in the Netherlands we are looking for an
Industrial Policy & Competitiveness
In order to strengthen our knowledge-position in the sector and continue developing the methodologies and the approaches to our projects, we are looking for an intern who will work with us on an internal research project on industrial policy and competitiveness as well as contribute to ad-hoc acquisition work in this field.
The Sector Industry & Competition provides (economic) analyses industrial policy, competitiveness, competition and market functioning. We provide these services as projects mostly for the European Commission, but also for the Dutch government, regional authorities, private companies and international clients such as the World Bank. Due to the regulated nature, we have done a lot of work for the sectors such as energy, postal services, and telecommunications. But also more traditional sectors such as construction, food & beverages, shipbuilding and luxury industries belong to our project track record.
At Ecorys, we have developed strong capabilities in the field of (economic) advice to national governments and the EC in the field of (sectoral) competitiveness and issues related to industrial policy in the EU. Mostly within the framework of two large contracts (€8 million each) that we have been managing for the EC since 2007 on sectoral competitiveness, market performance and industrial competitiveness, we have conducted over 50 studies on the relative position and performance of European sectors with respect to their major competitors (in Asia and/or the US for example) and on various factors that could influence the competitive power of sectors in general (intellectual property right policy, subsidies, taxes, sustainability and waste policies). However, this field is strongly developing in terms of methodologies that can be used in our projects as well as the issues that are relevant to conduct research on in a European context. The development of production in Global Value Chains, the integration of services activities in manufacturing products and the increasing role of IT services in the entire supply chain (and towards customers) are just some of the trends that are shaping European industries nowadays.
In order to strengthen our knowledge-position in the sector and continue developing the methodologies and the approaches to our projects, we are looking for an intern who will work with us on an internal research project on industrial policy and competitiveness as well as contribute to ad-hoc acquisition work in this field. The intern is expected to cooperate with our consultants by:
- Assisting them with academic research (literature review, data analysis, etc.) on this topic;
- Contribute to writing short papers on the different (new and emerging) topics in the field of industrial policy based on existing literature;
- Support the organisation and management of the internal research project that will be set up in this area, by planning meetings with participants, writing minutes of the meetings, prepare documentation in advance of the meetings;
- Potentially contribute to writing proposals in the field of industrial policy and competitiveness if during the time of the internship interesting new business opportunities in this field arise.
By assisting our research on industrial policy and competitiveness, you will directly and indirectly contribute to the development of new business opportunities. It would be possible to combine your work at Ecorys with a thesis at university in this field (in collaboration with a supervisor from university).
Timing and workload
- Expected start: (End) August 2015
- Expected end: January 2016
- Expected workload: 2-3 days a week
- Currently doing (or starting) your Masters in Economics (or business)
- a good understanding of current economic policy issues/challenges;
- strong analytical skills both quantitative and qualitative;
- well-developed English writing skills;
- fluency in Dutch and in English, other languages are an advantage;
- Experience in economic research, policy analysis and/or consulting, work experience would be an advantage;
What we offer
Ecorys offers its employees a professional, stimulating and learning environment and scope to develop. We ensure that our employees rank among the best in their field. Ecorys has an informal workplace atmosphere. The allowance for an intern is € 375 gross per month.
For more information about the position you can contact per e-mail: Jurgen Vermeulen, Consultant of Sustainable Economics. Jurgen.firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply please send us before August 9, your motivation letter and CV, using our online application form.
ECORYS Nederland BV T +31 (10) 453 800
HR department F +31 (10) 212 25 48
P.O. Box 4175 E email@example.com
3006 AD Rotterdam W www.ecorys.nl